Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Power Cut Safety Advice from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Power cut safety advice

If you are affected by a power cut, it is the Electricity Distribution Network Operator (DNO) who is responsible for maintaining physical electricity supplies to your home or business.

You can contact your local DNO by calling 105.

If you need to light your home when you’re without power, we would prefer if you used torches and battery-powered candles rather than candles. If you must use candles, follow our candle safety advice.

Don’t try and cook using barbecues or using fires inside your home such as wood-burners.

Turn off any appliances that may be a fire risk if they switch on when the power comes back on (such as hair dryers or electric hobs).

If you’re using a portable heater such as oil or gas, keep it a good distance (at least 1 metre) from people or furniture. Do not cover them with anything that could catch fire such as clothing.

Storm safety advice

We have more advice for staying safe during Storms on our website.

If you need to get in touch with us, you can find contact details on our website.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service

You can also find further information on our social media channelsFacebook, Twitter/X, Threads and Instagram.